Set clear goals based on each child’s temperament & areas to refine (for any maladaptive behaviors) and based on you child’s age group.
The following general guidelines can be kept in view while setting goals:
- 1) Best time to DISCIPLINE- related to overindulgence(eating, gadgets etc). Giving clear instructions without ambiguity,
- eg;Everyone need to share available food items, Gadget use based on project, today learn lifecycle of butterfly.
- 2) Healthy HABIT FORMATION- Importance of healthy hygiene& study habits, developing a stuctured routine(acc to child’s need), daily physical exercise etc.
- 3)REGULATION of emotional expression-Impulsive behaviors & verbalizing emotions of anger, sadness, anxiety in acceptable & harmless way using reasoning, time out for unacceptable behaviors(shouting on family member when angry as unacceptable, instead communicate verbally to parent who will take it seriously & resolve).
- 4) REDUCING DISTRACTIONS by providing only essential resources-It is healthy to set limit on utilizing minimum resources & more focus on creativity using own efforts. Providing too much material resources can be hinderence to sharpen one’s mind.
- 5) Extra time for refining SKILLS OF INTEREST like sports, art, music, dance by spending time in practice, while regular school days provide limited time period.
- 6) Together FAMILY TIME SPENT-One need not look for out of the way activities for that purpose.Keeping the routine of each member in view, can be helpful to each other,
- eg; If mother is involved in kitchen, helping her in required task will speeden to complete her work of cooking.
- Priming for next academic year, by taking time to prepare difficult subjects with the help of older sibling/ parent.
- 7)Taking PROFESSIONAL HELP by approaching child psychologist/ family therapist if unable to handle uncontrollable behaviors if any,is not a bad idea.
- Summer can be a happy & together time/ bonding time for whole family unlike regular school days.These above guidelines bring concepts of togetherness, need for accommodation& interdependence essential for effective family functioning as a single unit.
- HAPPY SUMMER KIDS😊