SCHOOLING a period from age 5-15 years is an active developmental period for children from biological,psychological, social perspectives.
Most parents opt for Home Schooling usually as a reaction to bitter experience with school system/ teachers etc. While it needs to be looked carefully from various perspectives.
1) Parents/ atleast one parent able to take time (atleast 5-6 hours of day time) for following structured schedule towards academics & extracurriculars.
2) If both parents are engaged in full-time occupation, the possibility of caretaker monitoring the schedule involves additional resorces.
3) Socialization- Needs special concern which happens naturally when child attending regular school.Ofcourse, as part of extracurriculars some socialization comes into picture, but with limitations.
4) If parents are on changing occupation/ frequent migration, Home schooling seem to be better option.
The above points are but few areas of concern to be taken care if opting for Home Schooling, however, Schooling period alone considered as period of learning is very narrowed down concept, for learning is life-long. Discipline, group compliance, ability to survive in challenging situations, peer group interaction and team spirit can be a miss. One need to be kept in mind as a parent is, preparation of child for facing life from broader perspective than just working towards a bread-winning occuoation.
These points are just food for thought. As parent you are always the best person to decide what suits your child assessing the total situation.
Set clear goals based on each child’s temperament & areas to refine (for any maladaptive behaviors) and based on you child’s age group.
The following general guidelines can be kept in view while setting goals:
1) Best time to DISCIPLINE- related to overindulgence(eating, gadgets etc). Giving clear instructions without ambiguity,
eg;Everyone need to share available food items, Gadget use based on project, today learn lifecycle of butterfly.
2) Healthy HABIT FORMATION- Importance of healthy hygiene& study habits, developing a stuctured routine(acc to child’s need), daily physical exercise etc.
3)REGULATION of emotional expression-Impulsive behaviors & verbalizing emotions of anger, sadness, anxiety in acceptable & harmless way using reasoning, time out for unacceptable behaviors(shouting on family member when angry as unacceptable, instead communicate verbally to parent who will take it seriously & resolve).
4) REDUCING DISTRACTIONS by providing only essential resources-It is healthy to set limit on utilizing minimum resources & more focus on creativity using own efforts. Providing too much material resources can be hinderence to sharpen one’s mind.
5) Extra time for refining SKILLS OF INTEREST like sports, art, music, dance by spending time in practice, while regular school days provide limited time period.
6) Together FAMILY TIME SPENT-One need not look for out of the way activities for that purpose.Keeping the routine of each member in view, can be helpful to each other,
eg; If mother is involved in kitchen, helping her in required task will speeden to complete her work of cooking.
Priming for next academic year, by taking time to prepare difficult subjects with the help of older sibling/ parent.
7)Taking PROFESSIONAL HELP by approaching child psychologist/ family therapist if unable to handle uncontrollable behaviors if any,is not a bad idea.
Summer can be a happy & together time/ bonding time for whole family unlike regular school days.These above guidelines bring concepts of togetherness, need for accommodation& interdependence essential for effective family functioning as a single unit.
Marriage as a long term viable relationship is perhaps the most important area of concern in family life today.
At the point when most young people marry, they are still quite incomplete, especially when these relationships are formed in twenties and tend to choose a partner who represents the qualities that they feel they lack.
Marital Couple as a living unit provides a way of navigating in the world. Thus, it stands that people choose a partner who can manage in the areas in which they are weak. In the process, the marital unit has to sail through frequent trouble spots which are basically problematic to deal with.
Question and Answer Session
Dr. Kavitha Praveen, an experienced Marital Therapist with over 15 years of experience dealing with marital issues.
Duration: 2 hours
Date: 15 September, 2019
Time: 11 am to 1 pm
Registrations: Limited to 15 participants on 1st come, first served basis.
How to Register : Contact 9849924478 between 9 am to 8 pm.